Giesen Wines Limited is a proudly family owned company, established by the Giesen brothers in 1981. We are committed to environmentally sustainable wine production practices and see ourselves as guardians of the land and the overall environment we do business in. For us, sustainability is an ongoing process of monitoring and minimising our environmental impact.
This commitment is recognised by our external accreditation with Sustainable Winegrowing New Zealand (SWNZ), BioGro and CEMARS™ (Certified Emissions Management and Reduction Scheme).
Our current environmental objectives include:
- To maintain and exceed the requirements for continued SWNZ, BioGro and CEMARS™ accreditation.
- Stay well informed on industry specific trends and new technologies related to sustainability and be proactive towards their uptake.
- Carefully consider sustainability aspects when making capital purchases of plant and machinery.
- Complete the conversion of our Stump Creek vineyard to organics. This will bring our total area in organic production to 31.92ha.
- Increase our use of biologically based formulations in managing vine health and soil organic matter.
- Carry out feasibility studies on the increased use of rail transportation as an alternative to road transportation.
- Consider the associated greenhouse gas emissions (GHGs) of consumables when making supply arrangements. Particularly embodied emissions (with recycled content in mind) and transportation.
- Continue to monitor waste streams, with a view towards waste reduction, reuse and recycling.
- Actively seek out possibilities to increase efficiency, particularly in water, fuel and electricity usage.
- Promote environmental sustainability as a core value at Giesen Wines Limited.
Click below to find out more about our certifications: